Gerard Quinn is the Director of the Centre for Disability Law and Policy at the NUI Galway School of Law. Called to the Irish Bar in 1983, he holds a masters (LL.M.) and doctorate in law (S.J.D.) from Harvard Law School.
His specialization is international and comparative disability law and policy.
He is a member of the Irish Human Rights Commission and helps co-ordinate the work of National Human Rights Institutions worldwide on disability issues. He led the delegation of Rehabilitation International (RI) during the UN Working Group that elaborated the basis for the new Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
He has worked in the European Commission (as a civil servant), and held a number of posts such as Director of Research for the Irish Government’s Law Reform Commission and Vice President of the European Committee of Social Rights (Council of Europe). He sits on various advisory boards dealing with disability law and policy issues such as the Commonwealth Secretariat, SOROS-OSI (Washington, DC), Disability Rights Fund (Boston, MA), European Foundation Centre Consortium on Disability(Brussels), European Coalition for Community Living (London), Interights (London).
In January 2012 President Michael D. Higgins appointed Professor Quinn to the Republic of Ireland’s Council of State.
Disability law & policy
Comparative disability law
2011/2012 The focus of this course is on international, regional and national law reform of legal capacity laws. Key issues include supported decision making and the assessment of legal capacity.: Legal Capacity Law and Policy
2011/2012 : Foundational Theoretical Framework in Disability Law and Policy
2011/2012 An overview of various regional approaches to disability law and policy as a way of transposing the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and as a way of stimulating region-wide reform. : Regional Disability Law and Policy
- UN launches online survey on disabilities (thebricspost.com)
- Senator Katherine Zappone (thedj4461.wordpress.com)
- The Arc Action Alert: The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Needs More Support! | The Arc | Action Center (pattidudek.typepad.com)
- US: Ratify Disability Rights Treaty | Human Rights Watch (pattidudek.typepad.com)
- Access Tourism NZ Blog Archive 17-19 July: Sixth session of Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (pattidudek.typepad.com)
- HRW Calls For US To Expand Protections For People With Disabilities (albanytribune.com)
- Book on NHRIs with ECHR Chapter (echrblog.blogspot.com)
- The World’s Largest Minority (ilg2.org)
- HRW Calls For US To Expand Protections For People With Disabilities (eurasiareview.com)